What insurance covers damage to your vehicle cars by something other than a collision?

Comprehensive insurance is coverage that helps pay for the replacement or repair of your vehicle in the event of theft or damage in an incident other than a collision. Comprehensive coverage, sometimes called non-collision coverage, generally covers damage caused by fire, vandalism, or the fall of objects (such as a tree or hail). Coverage for vehicles other than collision vehicles covers repairing your vehicle for damage that is not caused by a collision with another vehicle or object. Some examples of this are theft, broken glass or damage caused by acts of nature.

This term may be new to you, but it's not new coverage. The insurance industry is starting to stop using the term “comprehensive”. The truth is that there is no truly comprehensive coverage because all insurance policies have limits and exclusions. Learn more about liability insurance and get help deciding which car coverage is right for you with these car insurance resources.

Collision insurance will help you pay for the costs of repairing or replacing your vehicle, even if you've had an accident with an uninsured driver. This information is not an insurance policy, does not refer to any specific insurance policy, and does not modify any provision, limitation or exclusion that is expressly stated in any insurance policy. You can adjust the cost to a certain extent by opting for a higher car insurance deductible to lower your premiums, or vice versa.